Monday 23 April 2012

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was made to rhyme...

Welcome to my first ever blog post! Hurrah!

This would be the perfect time to explain a little bit about me and why I've decided to set up this little space to share my work with the world. So here it is:

My name is Holly, and I'm ginger. I am not a pumpkin but was nicknamed this by one of my best friends at school following a musical love affair with the Smashing Pumpkins, and it has sort of stuck ever since. But neither of these points are directly relevant to why I've created this blog.

For as long as I can remember, I have loved poetry. From my childhood obsession with Roald Dahl and nursery rhymes to my ongoing love for story telling, theatre and fairy tales, my interest in all things rhyme has transcended paper and stage into my own work that is mostly centred around all the lovely people in my life.

I started by writing limerick style odes for friend's birthday cards, and have since taken to writing poems for leaving books, weddings, baby births... in fact any life event that presented an opportunity to scribble my thoughts down in rhyme and create a poem for the occasion. I have also toyed with writing adaptations of fairy stories, something that I plan to get into a bit more in the future.

Now I've reached a point where the majority of 'My Documents' on my laptop are poems from the past, I've taken the plunge and set up this blog to share my work instead of just leaving it sitting on my computer with no love or attention from anyone.

I hope you enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment